The issues have probably been resolved, but see below topic on how to recover.
On Wednesday, April 8th, 2015, I began to receive a number of people writing in that tiles are missing or detail is missing on the UK OS Explorer maps. It may not be happening for everyone depending on what server they hit.
The cause was server changes at Bing who owns Multimap now. We do not control all or even most of our map sources, but we will take advantage of free sources if they are free. No apologies for doing that just because there could be changes years later.
Changing parameters was insufficient. Bing Maps is now enforcing more strictly the use of a License Key.
As of version 5.7.3, released April 17th, 2015, we are using a new a url with a Bing License key.
This means that they can monitor all our usage and charge us for it. I do not know what the cost will be. I do not know yet if we will need to ask for donations or subscriptions to cover the cost. Despite my best efforts, I have not yet been able to talk with someone at Bing (you can't even find a salesman when you need one). And they may not be able to answer till they know what our usage is.
If you prefer to get your own license key and make sure you stay within free limits, see instructions in one of the comments below.
But why do I still see wrong data?
Once you have update 5.7.3, you may still have data from when things weren't working. There is no very clean way to clean this up. Computing devices, when you come right down to it, are pretty stupid. They can't tell which tiles don't have topographic data the way a human eye can.
There are some crude but effective ways to clean things up.
- Choose "Select Areas for Download", mark an area and instead of choosing "Download", choose Menu->Delete. This will delete all tiles in the region, bad or good.
- Go to the file system, and delete the folder mmosxp underneath bcnav/tiles. Note that this will delete all tiles in "Main Tile Cache", bad or good.
- If you've done your downloads as Saved Map Folders, it is easier. You can delete the Saved Map Folder which has wrong data in one operation.
If it starts working for you, please get the word out. With the number of negative comments and rating hostages we are getting on Google Play, we will likely have people for months asking "I hear it doesn't work in the UK". If we want to keep this going, and have good leverage for negotiating licenses, it is is best to have a strong and happy user base in the UK.
There are alternatives as well:
- 4umap map of Europe
- Open Cycle maps
- England map from http://www.openandromaps.org/en/
- NEW: Maps from John Thorn based on OpenData: http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/opendata/openbcn.html
- Getting your own key from Bing and using Custom Map Source. See topic below.
Please follow up on this topic. I'll post here as I know more.